Monday 3 November 2014

November Beginnings....

Well, here we are at the beginning of another month......

Whats new? 
 Well I have seen 13 births now which is pretty exciting!  I am slowly becoming more involved with each which also comes with much excitement.  This last Friday was our last regular language class, no i am not fluent but i know more than when I started.  Fortunately our wonderful teacher will continue to come every Friday, so we won't be completely on our own.

Whats next?
tomorrow morning we are going to Bugnay; a mountain tribal village for outreach.  We will be staying in midwifery clinic above above the village.  The town has no internet and limited cell service so if you are wondering why I am not replying to e-mails and facebook messages I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  They do have electricity and tv.  Do be praying for this trip that we have an opportunity to make a difference,  we will be encouraged to connect with people and we have heard whispers of maybe doing a Bible study, so pray that Ellora and I have confidence and words of wisdom as we talk and connect with the people of the village.

A Setback
Saturday night I threw my back out bad enough that for about 20 minutes I couldn't stand, fortunately it has improved since then and I can move but sitting is not very good, so I am lying down lots and walking a little bit, basically I am limited which is coming at a bad time for us leaving tomorrow, please pray that this improves so that there will no pain or little enough that it is not hindering, it is getting better but in small increments so I don't think I did any major damage just pulled some muscles or threw something out.

A cool answer to prayer
a few days after I wrote my last blog Ellora and I were walking back from the market and two little girls started walking beside us, we didn't pay much attention as we were lost in conversation.  But then they started talking to us in the language; we couldn't understand all if it (partly because there was loud traffic going by us) but we figured they were asking us if we spoke ilocano, of which we able to reply simply "Bassit" (little) from there we had a very, very basic conversation in ilocano which was very exciting! Even though it wasn't much I was very much encouraged that I knew more than I sometimes think.  But do pray that we will have importunity to practice the language.  a few other situations like this have come up and they are wonderful little answers to prayer concerning language learning.

Some sad news and some good news
As I think I mentioned last time I found a church I am trying to go to regularly, sadly the pastor and his wife lost a son to a heart attack so if you could please for their family during this time.

Out of the 25 books that have to be read (besides our assignments) I am currently working on the 12th, I had read I think it was three and a half before I came so I had little head-start,  I am very thankful for this as soon we will be very busy with clinical and assignments and there will be limited time for extra reading.

I want to close by saying how grateful I am to all of you at home and in Vavenby Christian Church, your prayers, actions and words of encouragement have meant more than you know and help when I have days of being overwhelmed or homesick.  Thank you so much for your love and support.

and finally as promised here a few pictures.....
                                                               the rice fields being planted
                                   dong laundry....yes...that is a hand pump...my mom used to laugh at me when I would hand wash something for fun....little did either of us know....

                                               Canadian Thanksgiving with our Abundant family!
right before my first official shift
a section of the market (not a very good picture) on hot days they put curtains up to avoid the direct sun light 

                                             walking home from the market (about a 25 minute walk, we've learned not to do it when it is REALLY hot) in front of us is a tricy-a motorcycle with an attached cart-this is our main way to get around.
                      eating a much craved hamburger (we don't eat a lot of red meat because it id very expensive)
in Tuguegarao wihch is our big city where we have to go for certain immigration stuff (and has great hamburger and pizza)

No comments:

Post a Comment